Sunday, March 11, 2007

Did Phish record Snoop Dogg’s Gin and Juice?

No. This is one of the funniest mistakes I’ve seen on the net in a long time. I was talking to a friend of mine about a year and a half ago, and he told me his favorite song by Phish (that rascally hippie band) was the cover they did of Snoop’s Gin and Juice. I was unaware at the time that Phish covered the song. I went and looked it up.

I found that the version of the song he was referring to was NOT done by Phish at all. In fact to the best of my knowledge the band has never played the song. This version was recorded by out-of-this-world Texas band The Gourds. I love The Gourds and was greatly offended that Phish would be given credit for one of their songs. The explanation I’ve heard is that a rapper named Phish recorded this song either with Snoop or after Snoop. This maybe the case, but I wouldn’t really put my money on this being the mistake that got many Phish lovers confused. My guess is that P2P file sharing ending up with a “somewhat” inebriated Phish fan believing with all his heart that that awesome song had to be done by Phish, who else could sound like that? So the file spread. Don’t believe everything you read especially if the guy writing is leaning over a water bong while typing.

No comments: