Sunday, March 11, 2007

What is happening to Scrubs? (Don’t Put Zach Braff in the Bathroom)

I am a big fan of the show. I believe I’ve seen every episode (thanks to my DVR), but this season (season 6). This last episode “My Fishbowl” sucked. This whole season has been a wash of stupid potty jokes and bad haircuts. The look of the show is even different. It’s funny because a few seasons ago there is an episode titled “My Life in Four Cameras.” JD fantasizes about what it would be like if they lived in a sitcom. His fantasy was like a Saved by the Bell episode. The show now looks like this spoof.

The characters haircuts are awful. This past episode we had to endure the cast standing in a room with Turk trying not to fart. This is a long way from the writing from previous seasons where characters were dealing with real issues like love marriage and even fate like in “My Butterfly.” The suicide issue in this episode was handled very poorly. The whole episode was about dealing with suicide, but when JD finds out his college girlfriends committed suicide it doesn’t have an impact on him. He goes on to ask the mother if her daughter had ever slept with Turk. This was uncaring and embarrassing, and as JD character goes: way off. I don’t know what they’ve done to or with their writers, but something is amiss with this show.

It was recently announced in the Hollywood Reporter that Zack Braff will be returning for season 7 for a staggering $350,000 per episode. To me, Braff has always walked a line between genius and cornball. His character on the show is this way, but the movie Garden State was very similar. It was funny and touching, but balancing on that line between believable heartfelt tragedy and stupidity. I liked the movie, and the soundtrack was phenomenal. The mom dying in a bathtub because the 11 year old son pushed her was almost too far over the cornball edge. You get my point. Braff isn’t Tom Cruise or Jerry Seinfeld. I don’t believe he’s defined his “genius” yet, and Scrubs, although good as a sitcom, will not be remembered as great. I think of it more like a The Drew Carry Show. Have we heard from Drew Carry as of late?

I know that Braff is making his break in film right now with several projects in the works, but I think if he strays from his fan base of all those artsy music lovers dying for an artsy film, he’ll have real trouble. The Last Kiss, Braff’s last endeavor, which opened at the box office in September made 15 million worldwide. The film’s budget was around 20 million. This isn’t a stellar showing for the star’s movie career.

With all the negativity of this article you would think I was a Braff hater. I’m not. I am a huge fan. I think his work on Scrubs is brilliant, his musical tastes are outstanding, and his directing could be genius, but that’s the problem. I’ve been going around for over a year telling people to watch Scrubs. Now that my friends are watching I’m embarrassed by this season’s lack of quality. I’m getting calls from friends asking me if I’m off my nut. I’ve even been ribbed for that awful musical episode they did. The toilet isn’t funny to 20/30 somethings. It gets a giggle, but it does not endure as classic comedy and therefore: “down the drain it goes” where it should be. If you put Braff in the bathroom you’ll kill his career. This is my opinion, but I think smart comedy is the only way to go for this artsy budding star. When he is series about his art he is at his best be it funny or sad or better yet both. He can be funny and sad in the same sentences, and that’s been the genius of the show and of the star.

For those of you thinking I don’t have since of humor like yours Super Troopers wasn’t horrible, Old School made me laugh, and The 40 Year Old Virgin is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. Yes, I like well done comedies no matter what the subject, but don’t talk about farting for 23 minutes and expect me to laugh especially when you have a guy in the room that could be one of the “great” directors of my generation.

No comments: